How to create a vibrant gradient photo effect in Photoshop
- November 27th, 2023
In this video Photoshop tutorial, we will show you step-by-step instructions on how to create a vibrant gradient photo effect that can be applied to any photo in just a matter of seconds. We will dive into the details of each tool and feature used in the process, while explaining the rationale behind each step along the way.
Premium design assets for
your next project
Acess to a huge libary of design resources from Photoshop brushes to vector resources.Join today
- Program: Photoshop
- Time estimation: Under 3 minutes
- Difficulty: Easy
Step 1: Select the Rectangle Tool
- Select the Rectangle tool from the toolbar.
- Draw a rectangle over your image.
Step 2: Apply Gradient Overlay
- With the rectangle selected, right click on the layer and select Blending Options.
- In the Blending Options panel, choose Gradient Overlay.
- Click on the gradient settings to refine it.
- For the first color, select a light blue.
- For the second color, choose a light purple.
- Select OK to apply the gradient settings.
- Select OK again to close the Blending Options panel.
Step 3: Adjust the Angle and Opacity
- In the Layers panel, right click on the rectangle layer and choose Convert to Smart Object.
- Right click on the rectangle layer and select Blending Options again.
- In the Blending Options panel, click on Angle and set it to 38 degrees.
- Select OK to apply the angle setting.
- From the Layers panel, change the Blend Mode to Screen.
- Adjust the opacity of the rectangle layer to your liking. Starting with around 60% is usually a good starting point. You can increase or reduce the opacity depending on the contrast of the image.
Step 4: Finalize the Effect
Congratulations! You have created a nice cool gradient photo effect in Photoshop in a matter of seconds.
Feel free to experiment with different colors and settings to achieve the desired look.
Thanks for following along with this tutorial! Stay tuned to Creative Nerds for further quick tips on how to use Photoshop.